Ask a Portland Plumber How to Choose the Right Unit
If you are in the market for a new water heater, your head might be spinning. There are so many options for you to choose from, and so many factors you need to consider so that you get the perfect unit for you and your family.
But don’t worry: you’ve come to the right place. 3 Mountains Plumbing not only installs water heaters, but our experts are here to help you determine exactly which one is the best option for you.
Different Types of Water Heaters
This is an obviously important first step. Once you know what different types of water heaters you have at your disposal, it will make choosing the size and fuel type all that much easier.
- Conventional storage water heaters: This is probably the type you have in your home now, so you know it offers a ready stream of hot water in it’s storage tank.
- Tankless water heaters: These heat water on an “as needed” basis because there is no storage tank. This means that water is not heated 24 hours a day, seven days a week – only when you need to use the tap.
- Heat pump water heaters: Instead of generating heat directly for providing water, heat pump water heaters move heat from one place to the other.
- Solar water heaters: Much like it sounds, this type uses the sun’s heat to provide hot water.
- Indirect water heaters: These types use the home’s space heating system to heat the water.
Now that you know what sorts of models are available, it’s time to determine everything else.
Criteria to Consider When Choosing a New Water Heater
- Cost: Before purchasing a water heater, it’s obviously a good idea to estimate its annual operating costs. If the budget fits, it might be the one you were looking for.
- Energy efficiency: This condition will help you determine the cost, as it provides you with how much you will be getting for the money you are spending.
- Fuel type: Gas? Electric? Oil? Propane? Which type of water heating fuel will work in your home? You can’t have a gas unit, for example, if your home runs on oil.
- Size: You need to choose a water heater that sized according to how big (or small) your family is. The bigger your family, the more hot water needs you’ll have, and the larger the unit you’ll have to get.
Our technicians can help make your decision easier. For any and all water heater installation needs, call 3 Mountains Plumbing today!