Portland Plumber: Benefits of a Sump Pump
A basement is a place where many homeowners store their precious mementos. In addition, that’s often where expensive appliances like furnaces and water heaters are located. Having water flood your basement will not only destroy those pieces of equipment, but it will also wash away the keepsakes you have down there.
So, if there was a way you could prevent this flooding from occurring – whether it be during heavy rainfall, snow melt, or some fluke accident – wouldn’t you do it? Well, lucky for you, there’s a very easy way to ensure your basement stays dry: sump pumps.
How Sump Pumps Work
It’s estimated that 95% of all basements will experience some type of water flooding, as in many cases water does not flow far enough away from your foundation. Water saturates the ground around your home and filters in through cracks in the foundation, walls, floors, and drain tiles.
Despite how easily water may flow into your basement, getting it out is a bit tougher. Without a sump pump, that is.
Sump pumps are designed to push out water that has been collected in the sump hole before it has the chance to reach your basement or crawl space. When water hits a certain level, it is pumped outside – keeping your basement free and clear of any potential water damage.
Benefits of a Sump Pump Installation
Even if you live in a home located at the top of the hill, or in a place that’s usually at a low flood risk, it’s still important to have a sump pump just in case. You don’t want the time you think about getting one installed to be after your basement has flooded.
- Increase property value: When potential buyers of your home see that there’s a safety net there to prevent basement flooding, they’d be more willing to purchase the house.
- Prevent rust and corrosion: Water can cause rust to build up on metal appliances, furnishings, and structures. That stuff doesn’t go away, so you want to make sure the equipment is protected.
- Dampness and humidity control: This will help keep your basement warm, dry, and less musty.
- Ensure foundation’s structural integrity: Flooding can cause some serious water damage. Too much of it will result in the water slowly eroding the structure of your home.
- Mold prevention: Water making a home in your walls and flooring will cause mold, fungus, and mildew to form. When tampered with, mold can be fatal. Don’t risk it.
- Damage prevention: In addition, sump pumps hinder any damage done to furniture, wall coverings, and paint.
Don’t wait until after the flood, protect your basement now. Call 3 Mountains Plumbing today to schedule a sump pump installation!