Are your drains acting up? If you’ve been noticing that your fixtures are having repeated problems or back-ups, you probably have a drain clog. In Portland, drain clogs are very common — even more common than some people think! You can have an obstruction in your sewer or water line and not really notice it until it becomes a major issue. That’s why we’ve taken the time to create this blog of the 5 Most Common Clog Symptoms: by keeping your eye out for these warning signs, you’re sure to catch drain clogs before they become plumbing disasters!
5 Common Symptoms of Drain Clogs
- Lower Water Pressure– If your shower seems to have less pressure than usual, it could be because residue build-up in your piping is reducing your plumbing’s flow capacity.
- Foul Odors– Sewer lines aren’t supposed to smell bad! Neither is your kitchen sink, for that matter. If either of these places is emitting unpleasant odor, it means your drains are trying to tell you that something isn’t right.
- Gurgling Sounds– Faulty drains tend to create noises that sound like gurgling or bubbling, either when they are operating or when another appliance is running. These sounds typically signify some degree of blockage, as the air is having a hard time escaping the pipe.
- Repeated Back-Ups– Having a toilet back up once is a pretty common event in your typical household. But when it starts to back-up numerous times or under a certain level of heavy use, it needs to be checked out.
- Old/Rusty Materials– Age is actually the number one signifier that your drains need a check-up. If your pipes are made of cast iron or Orangeburg, they need to be replaced right away; those materials were popular back in the day, but now they’re notorious for clogs and leaks.
There are a number of reasons that residential drains become clogged: tree roots, corrosion, grease build-up, and foreign obstructions are just a few of the many things that can go wrong. With 3 Mountains Plumbing, though, we can get you back up and flowing again in no time! Contact our experts today to have a camera inspection and a drain clearing done for your home. You can schedule an appointment online, and we respond on the same day. Call now!