Here are some ways you can maintain your drains and reduce your risk of drain clogs! These 5 drain cleaning tips with help keep your kitchen drains, shower drains, toilets, and sewer lines in shape all year round!
Clogged drains are especially common this time of year since right now is when tree roots are going to start spreading through your yard, potentially invading your sewer drains and water lines. When your drains are clogged, you want to have the problem handled as soon as possible – and we can help. With the 3 Mountains Plumbing 24/7 service guarantee, you know your drains are protected all year round! But in the meantime, there are some things you can do to take care of your plumbing on your own.
Here are five tips that every homeowner should know when it comes to drain maintenance and drain cleaning in their home:
The 5 Drain Maintenance Tips
- Throw it Away- Sanitary items such as baby wipes (even the flushable variety), paper towels, toys, hair, diapers, and hygiene products can all become lodged in your drainage system, creating clogs. Even if you have a garbage disposal in your kitchen, avoid certain food items such as grease, oil, rice, fibrous vegetables, bones, cores, and peels.
- Careful Landscaping- As we said, we commonly encounter tree roots in the drains of the homes we visit, especially this time of year. Tree roots seek out water sources underground, and even the smallest hole in your drain system can allow the roots to come in. The roots continue to grow until the pipe is either completely blocked or breaks apart! When you’re planting trees, make sure you never plant too close to your underground pipes.
- Get a Backflow Valve for Your Main Line- One way to prevent main drain backups in your home is by having a backflow valve installed. This valve allows wastewater to only flow and will not allow wastewater back into your pipe system if something goes wrong.
- Avoid Drain Chemicals- Drain cleaning chemicals often do more harm than good to your drainage system if you have a clog. These products work by literally eating away at the clog within your system using caustic and extremely dangerous chemicals that can also eat away at your fixtures, finishes, clothing, pipes, and skin.
- Proper Maintenance- You should have your main drains inspected and cleaned every year. Proper maintenance and care of your drains can help prevent drain clogs in the future. A 3 Mountains Plumbing can always determine the health of your plumbing system with a sewer camera inspection.
Drain problems? Call 3 Mountains Plumbing today for the solutions!